About the HBA
When members of the HBA come together, it’s with a shared purpose: to be a united force for change. We connect diverse groups of both women and men, across all healthcare and life science disciplines. By taking focused action to advance our mission, we are creating a powerful movement that directly drives professional opportunity and corporate growth. We believe that by joining forces in the relentless pursuit of gender parity, we are doing more than uniting individuals—we are strengthening the business of healthcare.
To further the advancement and impact of women in the business of healthcare.
The Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association is a global nonprofit organization comprised of individuals and organizations from across the healthcare industry committed to:
- achieving gender parity in leadership positions
- facilitating career and business connections
- providing effective practices that enable organizations to realize the full potential of their female talent
The HBA accomplishes its mission through strong business networks, education, research, advocacy and recognition for individuals and companies.
The HBA is a membership-based association. As such, volunteers are required to maintain their membership in good standing. Memberships run for 12 consecutive months. There is a 30 day grace period after expiration in which one can still renew and maintain their original join date. Employees of corporate partner companies may be eligible for discounts, depending on the company's corporate partner level. A reduced dues rate is available for current members who become involuntarily unemployed during their membership year. For more information on membership dues and benefits please see the HBA Membership page on our website.
To learn more about HBA, please refer to our About the HBA presentation which goes into much more detail.
WIIFM? Maximizing your volunteer experience - thank you to the HBA Midwest Region for this recording and slide presentation (recorded Nov 2018)
Familiarize yourself with your own leadership role, and have a general understanding of what other roles do:
General resources available:
- Resource Center (you are here) - this houses all of HBA's non-proprietary volunteer resources, help articles and more.
- HBA Community - our Community is a virtual forum to connect with other HBA members in your area and across the globe. It is also the platform HBA uses to connect our volunteer leaders with one another in various functional and leadership groups for discussions and best practice sharing, to communicate important information, and to house all of our proprietary resources.
- Get started in the Community:
- ensure your HBA Community Profile is updated so people can more easily connect with you.
- While in your profile, take a moment to set your notifications frequency to meet your needs.
- Finally, take a look at our Help Center to learn how to post discussions, reply to posts and more so you can make the most of the Community overall.
- Community features:
- The HBA Member Forum to discuss/connect with all HBA members
- Dozens of more specific Member communities based on geography, special interests, career stages and more that you can join
- Our Member Directory, so you can find and connect with specific HBA members
- Volunteer Leadership opportunity postings across the world
- Volunteer communities (exclusive): HBA volunteer leaders are granted access to exclusive volunteer communities specific to their leadership level and/or function upon being accepted into their leadership role. These Communities allow our leaders to interact with their counterparts across the globe to discuss, share best practices, stay up to date on important HBA updates, news, announcements and house any proprietary resources that cannot be housed in the Resource Center. If you are a current volunteer leader, click here to view the volunteer communities you have access to - note: you may be prompted to log in to the HBA website first. You can also find your volunteer communities on the main HBA Community homepage by clicking Communities>My Communities.
- Get started in the Community:
- HBA staff directory
- HBA Policy Handbook – familiarize yourself with relevant sections. Note: this is in process of being updated and condensed for 2021
- Regional leader-specific: functional call schedule - will be updated in Jan 2021
- HBA website: our HBA website is the hub of the organization, where our members, volunteers and companies can learn about our organization, our events, locations, awards and more. A hidden feature accessible only to HBA volunteer leaders is the ability to pull real-time reports from the website to help inform your work!
- Depending on the leader's role they can log into the HBA website and visit their HBA profile.
- Here, they can select My Reports and pull any real-time reports they've been granted access to including:
- Regional and/or local membership reports
- Event attendance reports
- Speaker reports to track which speakers have completed the HBA Speaker Agreement for events
- Event badge templates
- Regional and chapter volunteer leader reports
- Treasurer reports
- RAMP reports which summarize regional event attendance and membership targets
Visit the home page of the Resource Center and select your appropriate leadership level (affiliate, chapter or region) and drill down to your functional area.